Our annual report 2020 has been published
As was the case for everyone, 2020 was an unusual year for our organisation, a year in which we were faced with major and unexpected challenges. As a precautionary measure, the team of the Childhood Cancer Switzerland office mainly worked from home and managed the numerous projects and activities remotely. We are therefore particularly pleased to be able to report on these milestones:
- We reached around five million people with our two national awareness campaigns “My child has cancer” and “Being diagnosed with a brain tumour”.
- Thanks to intensive advocacy, Childhood Cancer Switzerland played an instrumental role in helping a new federal law come into force in 2021 that better protects families with a seriously ill child. The law entitles them to a 14-week care leave with protection against dismissal during one of the most difficult periods of their lives. Furthermore, we were very committed to improving the coverage of the costs of medicines for children with cancer in the future and lobbied the FOPH and the media for the continued production of an irreplaceable painkiller.
- In the area of follow-up care and self-help, the second national Childhood Cancer Conference met with a very positive response from survivors and parents of children with cancer. For former childhood cancer patients, the Survivors’ Centre developed virtual workshops and meetings that were particularly appreciated by those affected during the pandemic. And this year also saw a very successful weekend for parents of survivors accompanied by professionals.
- Research is still urgently in need of support to ensure that all children have the best chance of being cured in the future and to reduce the long-term consequences of the therapies. In 2020, Childhood Cancer Switzerland was fortunately able to increase financial aid for research carried out by its member organisations and support three research projects.
- Thanks to successful fundraising, our distribution of funds was increased in comparison with the previous year.