The Basel Region Childhood Cancer Foundation (Stiftung für krebskranke Kinder, Basel) was founded in 1988 to provide support to children with cancer and their families. It offers financial assistance to families for treatment and care costs or for additional disease-related costs that are not covered by health or other insurance. Accommodation is made available to family members during outpatient and inpatient treatment. The foundation also funds psychosocial assistance and projects for people affected by childhood cancer.
Services and activities
Straightforward, direct, local
The Basel Region Childhood Cancer Foundation liaises closely with people affected by childhood cancer and the specialists involved in caring for them. This ensures that needs are recognized quickly and can be met. The foundation council meets regularly and comprises specialists and people affected by childhood cancer. There are also regular meetings with Swiss parent organizations, members of staff of University Children's Hospital Basel and other organizations.
How we help
- Material support for financial problems resulting from the disease, e.g. the cost of travel to hospital, household assistance, care for siblings, meals outside the home, etc.
- Flats for parents while children are being treated in hospital
- Psychological support at the University Children's Hospital
- Funding for projects and conferences that are geared to the needs of affected families
- Support for research projects that benefit children with cancer
- Support for rehabilitation stays for parents and survivors